13th Avenue and Front Street - Kings County
JLB Traffic Engineering, Inc. (JLB) was retained by Kings County to prepare a Traffic Operational Analysis for the intersection of 13th Avenue and Front Street along with Multi-Way STOP Warrants. Based on County data, the intersection was experiencing an apparent operational degradation. Therefore, JLB conducted an independent intersection Traffic Safety Audit to identify traffic operational issues and provide recommendations to improve traffic safety.
Multi-Way STOP Warrants were prepared pursuant to section “2B.07 Multi-Way STOP Applications” of the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Upon completion of the study, JLB provided Kings County with short-term and long-term corrective measures for implementation. The short-term corrective measures have since been implemented.
JLB’s scope of work included the following:
- Coordination with Kings County staff
- Review and analysis of collision reports to determine the potential for implementing corrective measures to the existing traffic controls and or intersection geometrics
- Conducting a field reconnaissance of the intersection to observe lines of sight, queuing, and general traffic operations during the highest peak hours
- Collection of peak intersection turning movement counts (7:00-9:00 AM and 4:00-6:00 PM)
- Coordination with Subconsultant NDS to collect 24-hr directional volume counts and 85th percentile speeds of the approach roads of the major street
- Preparation of Multi-Way STOP Warrants and Signal Warrants
- Preparation of existing level of service